These gorgeous Olympics themed cupcakes are perfect for your little ones this month to get them in the sporting spirit!
For the cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
+ 12 icecream cones
For the Icing:
1 cup unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The juice of 1 orange
Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 165°C. Line two muffin tins with muffin cases.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the sugar and citrus zest. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and continue mixing. Alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream to mixture. Add vanilla, and mix just until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake tins about 2/3 full, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until light-golden brown and springy. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting: Cream butter, sugar, and salt until combined. Add vanilla and orange juice, and beat for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. The frosting should be thick enough to pipe. If it is too stiff, thin it by adding orange juice 1 teaspoon at a time; if it is too thin, thicken it by adding sifted powdered sugar 1 teaspoon at a time. Add a drop of yellow food colouring and mix until icing is fully coloured, then add a drop of red food colouring and roughly mix for marbled effect.
Decorate the cupcakes: To assemble, peel the muffin cases off of each cupcake and anchor the cupcakes in the ice cream cones with a dab of frosting. Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, and pipe.
Tag us on Instagram @mylittlepartyauckland so we can see your fabulous creations! X
These pies are perfect for kids parties - or early morning rises for the Rugby World Cup!
The great thing is they can be made ahead of time and reheated. Also can be frozen and pulled out of the freezer when you can't be bothered cooking!
INGREDIENTS: Makes 24 mini pies (or 1 large pie)
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup of finely grated tasty cheese
- 5 slices of bacon – grilled and finely chopped
- 5 sheets of puff pastry
- salt and pepper
Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, cheese, salt, and pepper.
Cut 5 rounds out of each sheet of pastry, and use the rounds to line the hole
of 2x12 muffin trays. (I use Olive oil spray on the tray to ensure they don't stick)
Divide the chopped bacon between the pastry rounds.
Pour egg mixture over bacon, to almost at the top of the pastry.
Bake for 20 minutes at 200°C.
Easy - and delicious!
My kids love these anyday of the week - a great savoury option for kids dinners or parties!
Continue Reading →